jmar76's profile

Contributor

 • 

37 Messages

Mon, Nov 27, 2017 11:00 AM

Can't set recordings from stream app

So this has happened to me before on occasion but not lately, but today I tried to set recordings for several different things using the xfinity stream app and for some reason today the option just isn't there. Over the weekend I also just happened to read that Comcast just lost a decision by the ITC in favor of Rovi in a patent suit saying that Comcast is infringing on Rovi's patent for the technology in the app that is used to set recordings on mobile devices for X1 set top boxes. So I'm just wondering is it just a coincidence that it's not even an option for me today and perhaps due to maintenance of some kind on the app, or did Comcast temporarily pull this technology from the app as a result of the ruling by the ITC? Thanks very much to anyone who can shed some light on this.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Responses

New Poster

 • 

2 Messages

4 y ago

Can’t remotely record from Stream or Xfinity Remote.

New Poster

 • 

1 Message

4 y ago

So....what is Comcast going to do for all of us customers who pay for the ability to access our X1 sets remotely and can't set a recording due to a legal issue that is out of our hands? I am 2300 miles away from home for an extended period and have been using the stream app religiously. New season of one of my fave shows starts tonight and I can't set it to record. 

 

Hopefully I will be able to see it on demand while "away" from home.

mvenanzi

Bronze Problem Solver

 • 

2.4K Messages

4 y ago


@rlkahney wrote:
Can’t remotely record from Stream or Xfinity Remote.

Record function has been removed. More info here:

 

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

New Poster

 • 

5 Messages

4 y ago

There is no board for the remote app so I hope someone here can help me.

2 days ago my app lost the function of being able to set or modify recordings; it can still change channels and tell recordings to play on TV but when selecting a show the option for "record episode" and "record series" are no longer visible. Similarly when I select a "scheduled recording" there is no longer an option to modify the settings. The app is the most recent version; I have tried deleting it and reinstalling it.

 

The only recent change on the phone has been an update from iOS 11.1.1 to 11.1.2.

 

Is anyone else having this problem? 

New Poster

 • 

1 Message

4 y ago

Is anyone else upset that they can no longer remotely record programs using the TV remote app?  I really enjoyed this feature, being able to record programs while away from home.  On Nov 28, tried to record a program only to find that I was not able to do so anymore.  Not only that, my scheduled recordings were gone.  I have only the programs that have already been recorded.  I called Xfinity and spent 30 minutes with a rep who was unable to explain or figure out why I can no longer remotely record programs.  She had me delete the app and reinstall it.  Didn't work.  Then she had me power off my phone and turn it back on.  Didn't work.  She finally transferred me to a tech.  After much discussion, he told me that as of noon, the ability to remotely record programs was deleted.  The rep did not know that.  The tech did not know that.  When he talked to his supervisor, that's what he was told.  No notice was sent out that I am aware of.  Just BOOM, all of a sudden I can no longer have a feature on my Xfinity app that I truly enjoyed and got a lot of use of.  I am royally upset and hope that many, many others complain about this and that Xfinity restores the ability to remotely program my DVR.

New Poster

 • 

1 Message

4 y ago

Why is there no straight answers the RECORD OPTION HAS DISAPPEARED FROM THE xfinity stream tv app.  Where is it!!!,

New Poster

 • 

3 Messages

4 y ago

appeals will take 6-10 weeks to just file & then reply, ruling could take months longer.  

jmar76

Contributor

 • 

37 Messages

4 y ago

Comcast removed this functionality due to an ongoing legal issue regarding patents with TiVo (Rovi) in which an ITC judge ruled in favor of Rovi. The feature is inactive while they pursue an appeal.
PRGeno

Frequent Visitor

 • 

16 Messages

4 y ago


@nonopenono wrote:

appeals will take 6-10 weeks to just file & then reply, ruling could take months longer.  


 

There is no reason for Comcast to wait for any appeal.  The only ruling has been from the ITC which banned importation of devices that have features claimed to have patent protection by Rovi/Tivo.

 

The ITC ruling doesn't prevent Comcast from continuing to offer this feature to existing customers with existing devices, or even new customers with new devices already in this country.  This is a calculated and artificial maneuver by Comcast to cause enough user pain to in their hope validate their claims of consumer protection in the various federal court cases that haven't ruled, or even been fully tried yet.

 

The ITC has no jurisdiction to force Comcast to remove this feature.  Comcast chose to do this to their customers. 

New Poster

 • 

3 Messages

4 y ago


@dafodil42 wrote:

Is anyone else upset that they can no longer remotely record programs using the TV remote app?  I really enjoyed this feature, being able to record programs while away from home.  On Nov 28, tried to record a program only to find that I was not able to do so anymore.  Not only that, my scheduled recordings were gone.  I have only the programs that have already been recorded.  I called Xfinity and spent 30 minutes with a rep who was unable to explain or figure out why I can no longer remotely record programs.  She had me delete the app and reinstall it.  Didn't work.  Then she had me power off my phone and turn it back on.  Didn't work.  She finally transferred me to a tech.  After much discussion, he told me that as of noon, the ability to remotely record programs was deleted.  The rep did not know that.  The tech did not know that.  When he talked to his supervisor, that's what he was told.  No notice was sent out that I am aware of.  Just BOOM, all of a sudden I can no longer have a feature on my Xfinity app that I truly enjoyed and got a lot of use of.  I am royally upset and hope that many, many others complain about this and that Xfinity restores the ability to remotely program my DVR.


The rep I spoke to seemed very knowledgeable & said most of the calls she had today were asking about this & upset.

However, the rep I spoke to in their cancellation department had no knowledge of the entire situation tho when I called to see how much it would cost to cancel service 

PRGeno

Frequent Visitor

 • 

16 Messages

4 y ago


@jjudette wrote:

Why is there no straight answers the RECORD OPTION HAS DISAPPEARED FROM THE xfinity stream tv app.  Where is it!!!,


There is a straight answer.  The Comcast legal team decided to artificially remove this feature to cause customer outrage that they believe will somehow help them in their ongoing legal battle with Rovi/Tivo. 

 

They claim they did this to comply with a legal ruling, but that simply isn't the case.  The only ruling regarding this so far has been from the ITC which has banned importation of new devices that contain this feature.  The ITC did not ban Comcast from coninuing to offer this feature to existing customers with existing devices, and in fact doesn't even have the jurisdiction to do so.

 

This removal is a slap in the face of Comcast customers and is intended to cause us pain so we scream loud enough that the courts will rule in their favor.  Seems like both a bad legal and market strategy to me.

New Poster

 • 

1 Message

4 y ago

Why can I no longer set something to record from my app to my dvr at home? I used to be able to do it all the time.

New Poster

 • 

2 Messages

4 y ago

Why hasn't comcast notified its customers that the TV Remote App is no longer able to record shows. I understand it was recently disabled. I spent nearly 2 hours trying to fix this problem. a simple email notification would have and is appropriate

New Poster

 • 

4 Messages

4 y ago

Why can't we record anything on the xfinity stream app! We used to be able to do this! Can someone contact the people who can fix this as I have tried but can't seem to connect

to Help !

Anon13718

Regular Visitor

 • 

18 Messages

4 y ago

So we aren't getting all if the services we pay for. This was one of the things we really loved about the app. Keep in mind that not ALL shows are On Demand - so your solution is terrible. Hallmark, for example, doesn't put any of their Christmas movies on-demand. Are you going to give everyone a credit on their bill? You should-you've taken yet another great feature away from your customers. First it was the ability to have multiple email accounts and now this. After being a customer for 18+ years---not happy right now.

New to the Community?

Start Here